I Message, We Chat
Answer: CALLING CARDS
Liam Thomas, Eric Wei

Answers for this meta:

First, identify the apps. All of them have one-word names that have some meaning other than just the name of the app, which we use (e.g. just AIM instead of AOL Instant Messenger)

Hike Wire AIM
Element Outlook Messenger
Line Zoom Discord
Telegram Signal Hangouts

Clued by "oddly phrased" and "pair" of spammers, each feeder answer can be associated with a two-word phrase consisting of two of the apps. In reading order, the first app's name always appears before the second one.

Answer App 1 App 2 Justification
MORSE CODE Telegram Signal Morse Code is the signal used to transmit a telegram.
NOBLE GASES Element Line On the periodic table, the noble gases are a vertical element line.
PIGEON ROOSTS Messenger Hangouts Pigeons have historically been used as messengers, and they might have hangouts at roosts.
RIFLE SCOPE AIM Zoom A rifle scope would be used to zoom in your aim.
SCENIC VIEW Hike Outlook A scenic view is the outlook at the end of a hike.
TANGLED EARBUDS Wire Discord If your earbud wires were tangled, they'd be in discord.

Each answer in the puzzle has two words, and each phrase is two words. So we can map each answer word to a single app, and index the number of notifications into the word.

SCENIC
C
TANGLED
A
RIFLE
L
NOBLE
L
VIEW
I
PIGEON
N
GASES
G
SCOPE
C
EARBUDS
A
MORSE
R
CODE
D
ROOSTS
S

The answer is CALLING CARDS.

Author's Notes

The initial answer for this idea (in a slightly different form) was TIGHTROPE. Some more answers I liked that got scrapped were STATIC and POINT.