Cursed Combo
Answer: ANTELOPE
Laura Yao

The flavortext clues that you need to go to WEAN hall in CMU. Each of the images match with two pokemon that are joined together and we use their pokedex numbers to find the rooms to go to.

These images are taken from this website by Alex Onsager with the first pokemon as the face and the second as the body. We use the pokedex numbers similarly to join them into room numbers.

Pokemon #1 Pokemon #2 Room #
Persian Squirtle 5307
Paras Ekans 4623
Kadabra Wartortle 6408
Weedle Butterfree 1312
Geodude Venusaur 7403
Psyduck Spearow 5421

Once you got to these rooms, you would see the following posters hanging outside.

Wean 5307:

The flavortext/title tell you that you need to find a compound animal word. From the image, we get SEE MORSE (eyes looking at morse code which spells out MORSE) which we can transform into SEAHORSE, getting an E and M.

Wean 4623:

The title tells you that you need to find curses and the flavortext tells you to use the pokedex/room numbers that you previously got to get an indexing. In this case, you need to be "divisive" and divide the two numbers to get 46/23 = 2.

The two clues both point to specific Greek myths where a specific person is "cursed".

The first clue points to Cassandra which you index using 2 to get A. The second clue points to Minthe which you index using 2 to get I.

Wean 6408:

The faces shown are of Andrew MELLON and are in the shape of a 3. We index to get L.

Wean 1312:

The title tells you that you need to find curses and the flavortext tells you to use the pokedex/room numbers that you previously got to get an indexing. In this case, you "deduct" and subtract the two numbers to get 13-12 = 1.

The two clues both point to specific Greek myths where a specific person is "cursed".

The first clue points to Tantalus which you index using 1 to get T. The second clue points to Ixion which you index using 1 to get I.

Wean 7403:

The flavortext/title tell you that you need to find a compound animal word. From the image, we get STEEP LOG (almost 90 degrees) which we can transform into SHEEPDOG, getting a T and L.

Wean 5421:

The faces shown are of Andrew CARNEGIE and are in the shape of a 5. We index to get E.

From here, we put together the letters in the order given to get EMAILTITLE. Looking at the title of the puzzle, we get EMAILCURSEDCOMBO. If you submitted either of these you would get a message telling you to "Email us a cursed combo!". Once you emailed us a cursed combo, we would send you the answer: ANTELOPE

Author's Notes

When I saw this answer, I really wanted to do a puzzle around compound words -- specifically animal compound words. However, the mechanic was pretty limited and I couldn't get it to work properly (although remnants from this can be found in the COMBO minipuzzles). From there, I started thinking about cursed combinations which led me to playing around with Pokemon Fusion websites. I then decided to make this a runaround to make it more fun for CMU students and help me connect my puzzle together.

Special thanks to Alex Onsager for the website to create fused Pokemon!